Recipe courtesy of Superfood Snacks by Julie Morris
Julie Morris is the Executive Chef for Navitas Naturals.
½ cups raw walnuts
¾ cup raw almonds
¼ cup Medjool dates, pitted
½ cup dried goji berries
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup dried cherries
2 tablespoons cacao nibs
1. In a food processor, combine the walnuts and the almonds, and process the nuts into the size of small gravel.
2. Add the dates, goji berries, vanilla extract, and cinnamon powder, and process until the mixture forms clumps and begins to stick together.
3. Add the cherries and cacao nibs and process briefly to incorporate the ingredients, but leave some small chunks for texture.
4. Place the dough on a large sheet of plastic wrap on a cutting board. Press the dough into a compact rectangle, then wrap it tightly in the plastic, compacting it even more.
5. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a ½ -inch-thick layer.
6. Unwrap the dough and cut it into bars or bites as desired. Energy bars will last several weeks unrefrigerated and covered, or keep them in the freezer for long-term storage.
Published by WholeFoods Magazine Online, 6/1/2015