Spinach Salad with Quinoa and Butternut Squash recipe courtesy of Sprouts
- 1 Butternut Squash halves
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dried Thyme
- 1/2 tbsp Dried Rosemary
- 1/2 cup Quinoa rinsed thoroughly
- 1/2 cup Green Lentils rinsed thoroughly
- 1/2 cup Wheat Berries rinsed thoroughly
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon
- 1 pinch Sugar
- 1 Shallot or small red onion, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp Golden Raisins
- 3 tbsp Dried Cranberries
- 3 tbsp Almonds sliced
- 8 cup Baby Spinach washed and dried
- 1/2 cup Fresh Mozzarella soft, drained
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cut the butternut squash into slices and then cut away flesh from the skin. Cut the flesh into bite-size cubes.
- Toss on a rimmed baking sheet with the olive oil, dried herbs, and seasoning. Roast for 25-30 minutes until very tender to the point of a knife, removing when ready.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa, lentils, and wheat berries in separate saucepans of salted, simmering water until tender; cover the quinoa with a lid, cooking for about 15 minutes until tender. Cook the lentils and wheat berries uncovered until tender to the bite, 20-30 minutes.
- Drain all three when ready and rinse in cold water, setting aside to cool.
- Whisk together the extra-virgin olive oil with the lemon juice, sugar, and seasoning in a large mixing bowl. Add the cooked grains, butternut squash, shallot, raisins, cranberries, and almonds, and toss well to coat.
- To assemble, line plates with a single layer of spinach leaves. Top with some mozzarella and then arrange more spinach on top. Spoon over the dressed grains and squash mixture.
- Serve immediately for best results.
Posted on WholeFoods Magazine Online, 11/21/2016