Secaucus, NJ—Industry manufacturers can get their fill of information about nutritional ingredients and raw materials at SupplySide East 2011, May 2–4. The show—to be held at the Meadowlands Exposition Center, here—will have a similar format to last year’s event with two nutrition tracks, one food and beverage track and a cosmeceutical track. Various VendorWorks sessions will offer attendees specific information about branded ingredients and the Official GMP Training Program (presented by DBA Analytical/NSF International) will be held May 2 for an extra fee.
Some of the many informative sessions will include:
- Casey Coy from NSF and Bradford Williams from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) will cover “Voluntary Stability Testing Guidelines for the Dietary Supplement Industry” (May 2, 2:00–2:50).
- Jay Udani from UCLA will speak about “The Top Five Success Secrets for Dietary Supplement Clinical Trials” (May 3, 9:30–10:20).
- “Sorting Out Identity GMP Requirements” will be covered by Steven Dentali of the American Herbal Products Association (May 3, 10:30–11:20).
- “Capitalizing on Evolving Consumer, Product and Ingredient Trends in Functional Foods and Drinks,” with Tom Vierhile of Datamonitor (May 3, 11:30–12:20).
- FDA’s Vasilios H. Frankos, Ph.D., will give “An FDA Insider’s View of the Dietary Supplement Industry from the Other Side of the Fence” (May 4, 8:30-9:20).
- FDA’s Bradford W. Williams, who will offer an update on GMP Inspections and DSHEA (May 4, 9:30–10:20).
- An “Overview of the Food Safety Modernization Act” will be given by Paul A. Hall, Ph.D., president, AIV Microbiology and Food Safety Consultants LLC (May 4, 11:30–12:20).
- Karen Young of The Young Group will speak about “Trend Watch 2011" (May 4, 11:30–12:20).
- “Emerging Opportunities for Novel Ingredients” will be offered by Gregory J. Stephens, R.D., vice president of strategic consulting, Natural Marketing Institute (May 4, 12:30–1:20).
For those looking for face-to-face time with industry suppliers, the exhibit hall will be open 10:30–4:00 on May 3 and 10:30–3:30 on May 4. Plus, three social events are planned: a Happy Hour on May 2 from 4:00 to 5:00 in the conference center lobby, the Opening Reception from 4:00 to 5:00 on May 3 in the Embassy Suites lobby, and the Appreciation Party from 2:00 to 3:30 on May 4 in the exhibit hall.
Published in WholeFoods Magazine, April 2011 (online 2/24/11)