Jarrow Formulas® Inc. (JFI), headquartered in Los Angeles, CA, is a formulator and wholesaler of high-quality nutritional supplements. The company was founded in 1977 and incorporated in 1988. Today, Jarrow markets its products throughout the world, including the United States, Mexico, Canada, England, France, Japan, Singapore, China, Taiwan, Israel, Kuwait, Azerbaijan and other countries. Jarrow Formulas’® mission is reflected in its motto: “Superior Nutrition and Formulation.” The company’s philosophy is to encourage preventive care through research and education. Individuals are encouraged to look at health care holistically.
Jarrow Formulas’® goal is to promote optimal health with high-quality, effective, affordable and cutting-edge nutritional products that are based on sound scientific research data. Its staff of scientists and health professionals are actively involved in scientific and clinical studies and working with researchers from universities, institutes and other establishments around the world. Jarrow Formulas® strives to provide the best service and technical information to its customers.
Jarrow Formulas conducts its own research that includes, but is not limited to, the following:
Clinical Study Demonstrates Superior Bioavailability of Jarrow’s Proprietary QH-absorb® Formula (June 2009): Italian scientists from the University of Ancona (Institute of Biochemistry) measured the plasma levels of Co-Q10 (Jarrow QH-absorb®, a stabilized proprietary Co-Q10 formula utilizing ubiquinol) after taking 100 mg three times per day (100 mg T.I.D. = 300 mg). Eleven adult volunteers took QH-absorb® over a two-week period. In this study, the results proved the superior absorption of QH-absorb®, as demonstrated by:
- total Co-Q10 levels increasing from 0.70 mcg/mL to 6.14 mcg/mL.
- improving the mean reduced Co-Q10 (ubiquinol) levels in the plasma from .62 mcg/ml to 5.75 mcg/mL. This was an increase of 827% over baseline in humans.
- five of the volunteers achieved plasma levels over 7 mcg/mL and one subject was higher than 8 mcg/mL.
Another interesting finding showed a significant reduction in oxidized Co-Q10 in patients. Oxidized Co-Q10 does not function as an antioxidant. The results proved the efficacy of QH-absorb® as demonstrated by a reduction in the mean oxidized Co-Q10 levels in the plasma from 12% to 7%.
Bone-Up® Improves Bone Health in Young Women (August 2007): The results of a clinical trial investigating the effects of Bone-Up®, an enhanced calcium formula, on young women were published in the Journal of Nutritional & Environmental Medicine. It showed that exercise plus intake of Bone-Up® can improve bone health in young adult women, which could lower the risk of developing osteoporosis later in life.
- Jarro-Dophilus EPS®: Room temperature stability with enteric protection, plus eight species and high potency.
- Bone-Up®: MCHA calcium formula for maximum bone density and strength.
- QH-absorb® and Q-absorb®: Clinically validated, high absorption formulas of Coenzyme Q10.
- Ideal Bowel Support™ 299v: Contains proprietary probiotic strain Lactobacillus plantarum 299v (Lp299v), which has been shown in clinical trials to survive and colonize the digestive tract and alleviate intestinal discomfort in 95% of the patients studied.
- Fem-Dophilus®: Oral probiotic clinically documented to restore and maintain a healthy vaginal flora and reduce the risk of urogenital infections.
- JarroSil®: A patent-pending Activated Silicon® formula, containing stabilized molecular clusters of silicic acid for bone, joint, collagen, skin, hair and nails.
- SAM-e: The ultimate brain, liver and joint nutrient. Also supports healthy aging.
- Pomegranate Juice Concentrate: Promotes cardiovascular function and healthy aging.
- Ultra Joint Builder™: Provides key nutrients for proper cartilage formation, joint lubrication and a healthy inflammatory response within the joint.
- ALA Sustain™: Powerful master antioxidant.
- BroccoMax™: Standardized broccoli seed extract.
HCActive™. A 70% concentrate of hydroxycitric acid (HCA) stabilized as a potassium-magnesium salt extracted from the fruit of Garcinia cambogia. HCActive™ was tested at Georgetown University and found to be highly absorbed and more bioavailable than a leading HCA potassium-calcium salt. HCActive™ supports appetite control and weight management.* HCActive™ is protected by 9 U.S. patents.
L-Citrulline. The amino acid L-Citrulline is a substrate in the cycle that includes L-arginine and L-ornithine. L-Citrulline supports nitric oxide production, which is important for blood pressure regulation, immune function, healing, as well as helping the liver detoxify ammonia.* Quatrefolic® (Methyl Folate) is the 4th generation of methyl folate which can cross the blood-brain barrier. Methyl Folate is needed to support cardiovascular and neurological health as well as proper cell division.* Folate and gamma tocopherol work with L-Citrulline to support the production of nitric oxide.*
Uridine. A nucleotide that acts as a precursor of brain synapses and membrane phospholipids in conjunction with the omega-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and choline sources.* It may enhance some brain cholinergic functions.* Uridine also supports the health and function of liver mitochondria.*
Jarrow Formulas® Inc.
Jarrow L. Rogovin, president/chairman of the board, Jarrow Formulas; chairman of the board, Jarrow Industries
Published in WholeFoods Magazine, July 2014