NOW’s values and mission have stayed very much aligned with those of its main customers, independent health food retailers, since the company was founded by Elwood Richard in 1968. Although NOW has grown to become one of the industry’s largest manufacturers, NOW is still owned by the Richard family and remains committed to its original mission: to provide value in products and services that empower people to lead healthier lives. Elwood Richard’s core belief that high-quality health products should be affordable for everyone still shapes the company’s decisions and policies today.
How does NOW produce quality products at such reasonable prices? The answer is surprisingly simple: commitment. Every phase of the manufacturing process, from careful selection of raw materials, through comprehensive testing and meticulous manufacturing, to the packaging and shipping of products, follows strict procedures overseen by an experienced team of experts. NOW’s state-of-the-art manufacturing and testing facilities in Illinois and Nevada are Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)-certified and “A-rated” by the Natural Products Association (NPA), and also certified by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) for dietary supplement manufacturing.
NOW’s dedication to the customers who have made its success possible is illustrated by the company’s stellar customer service and enduring commitment to the health food channel.
Key Market Areas
NOW’s product categories include dietary supplements, herbs, pet supplements, personal care, essential oils, sports nutrition, natural foods and natural sweeteners. According to SPINS, NOW is the #1 selling amino acid brand in the health food channel, #1 in the miscellaneous category (CoQ10, ALA, etc.) and #2 in the sports segment. NOW® Solutions is #1 in body oils and a very close #2 in essential oils.
With over 1,400 products in its catalog including dietary supplements, personal care products, sports nutrition products and natural foods, NOW is uniquely positioned to meet the comprehensive wellness needs of health-conscious consumers. Product categories include:
• Vitamin and minerals, amino acids and antioxidants
• Cardiovascular, metabolic, immune and digestive support supplements
• Super green foods, fiber and herbs
• Joint, mobility and structural support
• Men’s and women’s specialty supplements
• Sports nutrition, weight management and protein
• Personal care, essential oils and natural skincare
• Mental fitness and neural support
• Omega-3, nutritional oils and EFAs
• Natural and non-GMO foods and cooking oils, allergy-friendly and gluten-free foods, and teas
• Natural sweeteners including Sugarless Sugar™ and BetterStevia®,
a proprietary whole leaf stevia extract
• Pet supplements
NOW has tailored many aspects of its business model to support the success and growth of natural product retailers, providing a diverse selection of sales tools, including retail and consumer catalogs, banners and displays, window signs, shelf talkers and informative literature for retailers and consumers.
NOW’s Online Retailer Portal allows retailers to manage their businesses from one convenient location to place orders, view order history and download digital product images, labels and marketing collateral. In the portal, retailers can also access NOW’s Product-ology online training courses. The Product-ology training program, designed exclusively for retailers, offers fun and interactive lessons to provide sales associates with nutritional ingredient knowledge to better assist customers in the aisle.
NOW also offers manufacturing facility tours, retailer conferences, free e-newsletters and is one of the very few natural supplement companies to provide free technical support from certified nutritionists.
• UL Certification: NOW is one of the first companies certified by Underwriters Laboratories (UL) for its dietary supplement manufacturing process. The UL R National Brand Certification Program (NBCP) assesses the extent to which an organization conforms to the applicable regulations and/or standards regarding the dietary supplement products being manufactured. Both of NOW’s facilities in Sparks, Nevada and Bloomingdale, Illinois are certified.
• www.nowfoods.com: NOW recently launched a new website, which is more user-friendly, has a responsive design, expanded content and new store locator functionality, which makes it easier for consumers to find NOW products in stores.
• NOW® Pets supplements, launched in 2015, were developed under the guidance of renowned holistic veterinarian Dr. Barbara Royal. Specifically tailored to address common pet health concerns, the line includes G.I. Support, Immune Support, Joint Support, Pet Relaxant, Omega-3 Support, Urinary Support, Weight Management and L-Lysine. NOW Pets has been certified by the National Animal Supplement Council (NASC).
• New Order Fulfillment and Distribution Center: Moving these functions to another building this fall will make more room for Receiving Operations and needed warehouse space.
• New Label Conversion Completed: The conversion of all NOW’s dietary supplements to the new label design has been completed and are being shipped to customers.
244 Knollwood Dr.
Bloomingdale, IL 60108
Tel.: (630)545-9098, (888)669-3663
Year Founded: 1968
Jim Emme, CEO
Andy Kotlarz, Chief Financial Officer
Aaron Secrist, Director of Quality and Research & Development
Dan Richard, Global Sales Manager
Mike Richard, Supply Chain Director
Rick Sharpee, Ph.D., Director of Science & Nutrition