Lakewood, CO—For the seventh year, Natural Grocers and America’s Nutrition Education Experts have announced an annual list of Top Trends for 2023. Categories include:
- Health and Wellness
- Body Care and Beauty
- Food and Beverage
- Ecologically Thoughtful.
This year, the trend forecasters also included a Bonus Trend category, which lists items that are expected to continue to be hot through 2023 and beyond.
The predictions were collected from the Natural Grocers Nutrition Education team, a group of experts in the health and wellness field, including registered dietitians and Certified Natural Foods Chefs. These experts worked in tandem with the retailers’ purchasing, marketing, and analytics teams to assess consumer-shopping preferences, as well as the impacts of COVID on consumer trends.
“Though the COVID pandemic initially made its presence known almost three years ago, its lingering effects are still impacting how we approach our health and wellness, self-care and food preparation,” said Shelby Miller, MS, Natural Grocers Director of Scientific Affairs and Nutrition Education, in a press release. “We are seeing consumers prioritizing taking care of themselves, their families and the planet, while tightening budgets. There is a big push among both consumers and brands to minimize waste and make every dollar count.”
Natural Grocers’ trends in key natural products categories:
HEALTH & WELLNESS TRENDS
- EPA & DHA Will Be Top of Mind for Mental Wellbeing
- Gut Health & Digestive Comfort Will Be a Priority
- Apple Cider Vinegar Becomes Palatable
BODY CARE & BEAUTY TRENDS
- Bar-Based Products for a More Environmentally Friendly Routine
- Ingestible Skin Care Will Have Its Glow-Up
- Eco-Friendly Period Products Go Mainstream
ECOLOGICALLY THOUGHTFUL TRENDS
- We’ll Reduce Our Environmental Footprints with Zero-Waste Cooking
- All-In-One Products Reign Supreme
- Purposeful Packaging Becomes a Priority
FOOD & BEVERAGE TRENDS
- The Sober Curious Movement Continues to Grow
- We’ll Simplify Snacking
- We’ll Indulge More Sensibly with Healthy-ish Comfort Foods
Be a Regenivore
According to Natural Grocers, Regenivore Dieting will be the new way of eating. It involved making food choices that support personal and planetary health. This type of diet supports farmers as foods are grown sustainably and regeneratively.