With the Winter Fancy Food Show come and gone, let’s look back on the emerging trends seen at the show as pinpointed by Specialty Food Association’s Trendspotter Panel as well as some representative products.
Southeast Asian Influence:
- Bak Kwa is Singapore style street food that is moist and not hard to chew like some jerkies. Bold in flavor, Little Red Dot offers their Bak Kwa in Pork, Chipotle Beef (spicy), Lemongrass Beef, Turkey and Candied Uncured Bacon (spicy).
- Maya Kaimal brought flame-baked Naan Chips to the table in three flavors: Sea Salt, Rosemary and Almost Everything (onion, poppy and anise).
- Indian twist on an American dish. Whole breast meat chicken basted in authentic Tandoori spices.
- Forget those soggy, stale packages of ramen noodles. Nona Lim showed off its restaurant-quality ramen noodles for home cooks. The firm suggests pairing its Nona Lim Thai Curry and Lime Broth or its Nona Lim Vietnamese Pho Bone Broth with Nona Lim Whole Wheat Ramen, for Southeast Asian food enthusiasts. Other ramen options include Nona Lim Tokyo Ramen and Nona Lim Hakata Ramen.
- Safflower oil infused with shallots that had been fried to a golden brown. Vietnamese staple inspired by the French and used often in Chinese, Vietnamese and Jewish kitchens.
- Brand new from Hey Boo known for its coconut jams, their caramels are made with organic coconut oil and real cane sugar.
- Red Duck Foods showed off its line of ketchup, including one that is inspired by Indian food: a curry-flavored variety.
Grass-fed Dairy and Beef:
- Made from the milk of cows that have been grazing in pastures eating the grass that is natural to their diet. Research has shown that grass-fed cows produce milk with a more healthful balance of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids. Cultured in small batches with non-homogenized Grassmilk.
- Certified Gluten-Free, grass-fed beef jerky in Original and Spicy flavors, and in 2 ounce bags or stick form.
- Indian style smoothie with organic grass-fed cultured whole milk. Rich in probiotics, containing over 15 billion live cultures.
- Unique flavors and combinations, made with grass-fed milk.
- New Energy Legume Blend will include legume + pea varieties and are packed with plant-based protein.
- Mexican style snack made from cricket flour. Cricket flour is a highly sustainable form of protein, made from sustainably raised crickets which are slow roasted then milled into fine flour. Also free of grain, processed sugar and dairy, using coconut oil instead.
- Protein-packed quinoa is the star ingredient in the new Quinoa Cluster recipe that includes nut butter as well as hemp seeds, pepitas, chia seeds and vanilla for a slightly softer texture and enhanced flavor profile.
- Bite-size crunchy hemp snack with 10 g of protein and 10 g of omega-3 and -6 in a 45 g serving (8 pieces).
- These sugar-free frozen desserts are packed with whey protein and include several new flavors, such as Brownie Blast, Snickerdoodle Dandy and Banana Pudding Chunky Pints; Cake Batter and Poppin’ Pomegranate Creamy Pints; and Mint and Salted Caramel Chocolate-Dipped Bars.
- New on the plant-based protein snack front from Saffron Road was a USDA Certified Organic Chickpea Snack product with six grams of protein.
- Certified Gluten-Free, Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified and Certified Vegan with over 86 g of protein and 40 g of fiber per bag. Cooks to the same al dente texture of conventional pasta.
- Contains only 7 ingredients included 3 egg whites which give the bar 12 g of protein.
WholeFoods also learned about the launches of several nut milks, which tend to be good sources of protein. These include four varieties of Royal Hawaiian Orchards Macadamia Milks and Califia’s Almondmilk Creamers and Better Half. Also serving the dairy-free community, Follow Your Heart sampled its first-to-market Vegan Egg made out of algae.
- Hybrid of rice porridge and rice pudding, the product is gluten and dairy-free as well as Non-GMO. Also packed with antioxidants.
- Delicious to-go salad, with sustainable packaging that is paper-based BPA-free, using paper from FSC certified sustainably managed forests.
- Packaged in portable, recyclable 2.6-ounce cups, Modern Oats' protein-rich, gluten-free oatmeal comes in several new flavors: Vermont Maple, Coconut Almond, 5 Berry (No Sugar Added) and Just Oats.
- Salty sweet blend of granola cluster, cranberries and roasted pecans with milk soaked puffs. Made with organic ingredients, certified gluten-free and vegan and Non-GMO Project Verified.
- Boasting 8 g of protein, no MSG or preservatives, this is an on-the-go bone broth in a 100% recyclable K-Cup.
The Color Purple:
- Corn flakes made from non-GMO purple corn, organic cane sugar from Florida and sea salt from the San Francisco Bay.
- Marinated baby beets.
- Gluten-free traditional Japanese-style noodles made from organic purple potatoes and brown rice instead of wheat. Vegan, low-fat and with 50% less sodium than traditional ramen.
- Infusion of Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon fine wine grape skins, juicy oranges and black currants.
Published in WholeFoods Magazine online 1/25/2016