Recipe courtesy of Earthbound Farm
Prep Time: 15m | Total Time: 15m + freezing time
Makes about 3 cups, enough for about 6 popsicles (depending on your equipment)
With just one adjustment (reducing the amount of strawberries in the mixture to keep the pop’s bright green color), our delicious Aloha Green Smoothie makes a pretty popsicle, too — just the right combination of refreshing and healthy on a hot day. The lively green color and chunks of fresh fruit led one of our kid tasters to proclaim these the best pops he’d ever had!
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 5 cups Earthbound Farm Organic Power greens
- 1 cup Earthbound Farm Frozen Organic Mango Chunks
- 1/2 cup Earthbound Farm Frozen Organic Strawberries
- 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds
Garnish for freezing:
- 6 fresh strawberries, sliced thin
- 1/2 fresh mango, peeled and cut into thin slices, or extra frozen mango chunks, sliced thin
- 6 small paper cups and wooden popsicle sticks OR a popsicle mold
- Add all of the ingredients for the popsicle mix (not the garnish), in order, into a blender. Secure the lid and hold it to prevent leaks. Blend until smooth.
- Press 4 to 6 slices of strawberries and mangos around the sides of your molds or paper cups (the number may vary, depending on the size of your mold) and pour in the liquid very gently to avoid disturbing the fruit. You want the fruit to show its bright color on the surface of the pops, so depending on your equipment, you may want to do this in stages, freezing the mixture to a slushy consistency between additions to hold the fruit in place.
- When the mold is filled, insert the sticks and freeze until set, about 4 hours or according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Per serving: Calories 70, Fat 1 gram, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 85 mg, Carbohydrates 15 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Sugars 11 grams, Protein 2 grams.
- Percentage Daily Values per serving (based on a 2,000-calorie diet): Vitamin A 35%, Vitamin C 50%, Calcium 8%, Iron 8%.
Published by WholeFoods Magazine Online, 8/14/14