Recipe courtesy of Mary's Gone Crackers
2 cups organic milk or almond milk, or use 1 cup milk and 1 cup water
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pinch each of cloves, nutmeg and ginger
1 cup uncooked, organic quinoa [may use 3/4 cup quinoa and 1/4 cup amaranth]
1/2 cup raisins, dried cranberries or other dried fruit chopped into small pieces
1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar or maple syrup, or to taste
1/2 cup chopped almonds or walnuts
2 tablespoons sunflower or pumpkin seeds
1 cup fresh blueberries, blackberries, or chopped apple
Coconut milk, almond milk, or yogurt for topping
1. In saucepan, add milk, spices and vanilla and stir.
2. Add whole quinoa and bring to a boil.
3. Turn down heat to simmer and cover, cook for 15 minutes (or until all liquid is absorbed) on low heat, stirring occasionally and making sure mixture does not boil over.
4. Remove from heat and let sit with lid on for another 5-10 minutes.
5. Stir in dried fruit and sweetener to taste.
6. Serve quinoa in bowls and add chopped nuts, seeds, fruit and milk or yogurt as desired.
Published by WholeFoods Magazine Online, 5/27/2014