Recipe courtesy of Zemas Madhouse Foods
Zemas Peruvian Sweet Potato Pancake & Waffle Mix
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground clove
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3 tbsp. grapeseed oil (coconut oil, non-gmo canola oil)
3 tbsp. dairy-free butter (regular butter)
3/4 c. palm sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin puree*
3/4 c. coconut milk (or milk of choice)
Ingredients: Vegan Version
1 chia egg(to serve as egg replacer) To make a chia egg, mix 1/4 c. water with 1 T. of chia seeds. Stir and allow to gel (approx 5 minutes).
3/4 cup pumpkin
For the vegan version, follow the same directions and bake for 55 minutes.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and spray a bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat oil, butter and palm sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add in the eggs one at a time, making sure to scrape down the bowl after each addition.
3. Beat in the vanilla and pumpkin, mix until combined, again making sure to scrape down the bowl with a rubber spatula. With the mixer on low, alternately add Zemas mix in 3 parts and milk in 2, beginning and ending with the mix.
4. Spread batter into prepared pan, smoothing it out. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. Once the cake is cool, invert it onto a plate and drizzle with vanilla maple glaze (recipe below). Please note that the vegan version will be more dense and not rise as high.
1/2 c. powdered sugar (vegan powdered sugar)
2 tbsp. Blis vanilla maple syrup (pure maple syrup)
1 tbsp. coconut milk (milk of choice)
Whisk all ingredients in a bowl, drizzle with spoon.
Yields 1 bundt pan.
Published by WholeFoods Magazine Online, 10/14/2014