Washington, D.C. – With the homeopathic drug industry in the United States growing as fast as it has in the past few decades, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has decided to host a public workshop “to examine advertising for over-the-counter (OTC) homeopathic products,” according to the press release.
The event will look into several topics that affect the advertising methods regarding the products. In the presence of medical professionals, industry representatives, consumer advocates and government regulators, these topics, according to the press release, will include:
* A look at changes in the homeopathic market, its advertising and what consumers know
* The science behind homeopathy and its effectiveness
* The effects of recent class actions against homeopathic product companies
* The application of Section 5 of the FTC Act to advertising claims for homeopathic products
* Public policy concerns about the current regulation of homeopathic products
The workshop will be held on Monday, September 21 at the Constitution Center, located at 400 7th St. in Washington, D.C. Public comments on the subject can be submitted electronically or sent to: Federal Trade Commission, Office of the Secretary, Constitution Center, 400 7th Street, SW, 5th Floor, Suite 5610 (Annex B), Washington, DC 20024 before Friday, November 20.
Published by WholeFoods Magazine Online, 6/2/2015