There are six pillars of healthy aging, according to David Katz, M.D., MPH, FACPM, FACP, CEO of DietID and President of True Health Initiative: diet, avoiding tobacco/toxins, physical activity, stress, sleep, and love. Dr. Katz stressed the importance of each, and shared his wellness strategies, with attendees at the Naturally Informed event Healthy Aging: Mastering the Market, which took place virtually in September.
“Diet and lifestyle has the potential to eliminate up to 80% of premature death,” Dr. Katz shared. And diet, particularly, struck him as thoroughly preventable: “A 2019 paper found that dietary factors were the leading cause of premature death in 195 countries all around the world. In the U.S. alone, bad diets—and we’re profiting from bad diets, we’re manufacturing it, for money—it kills more than 500,000 yearly. When COVID did that, we had a moment of reflection, and rightly so—but diet does this every year, and there’s no consequences, no moment of silence.”
Tune in below for his insights.
To view more informational and educational sessions from this and other Naturally Informed virtual events, register for free on-demand access:
Taking Control of the Immunity & Wellness Market
- Strategies for Immune Wellness with Mark Hyman, M.D.
Driving Value Through Sustainability Across the Supply Chain
- Regenerative Agriculture 2020: A Primer on the Future of Food with Thomas M. Newmark of The Carbon Underground
Driving Opportunities in the Microbiome Space
- Your Guide to a Complete Microbiome Makeover with Fred Pescatore, MD, MPH, CCN
Mental Wellness: Mastering the Market
- This is Your Brain on Food with Dr. Uma Naidoo
Nutri-Beauty: Mastering the Market
- Secrets to Radiant Health and Ageless Beauty with Christine Horner, M.D.