Washington, D.C.—The Natural Products Association (NPA) has submitted questions for two of President Joe Biden’s nominees: Xavier Becerra, Health and Human Services (HHS) nominee, and Katherine Tai, United States Trade Representative nominee. NPA noted in a press release that both will play a critical role overseeing issues that are important to the natural products industry.
Becerra testified before the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions and the Senate Committee on Finance on February 23. NPA submitted questions for the record, which can be viewed here., including asking Becerra to state his position on:
- Regulating the CBD marketplace and setting a safe level of daily consumption for CBD;
- New Dietary Ingredient Notifications;
- FDA accountability and enforcing the law outlined in DSHEA;
- The importance of nutritional supplements during the pandemic, including Vitamin D, which has been shown to play a role in limiting serious cases of COVID-19.
- The impact of tariffs on nutritional supplement ingredients;
- Using import alerts to protect the intellectual property rights of American businesses;
- Protecting American businesses from price gouging.
“From safely regulating the CBD marketplace for consumers to protecting intellectual property rights, our issues are going to be front and center in the Biden administration and Congress,” said Daniel Fabricant, Ph.D., President and CEO of NPA, in the release. “We look forward to working with the new administration on all of the issues that will be critical to our industry and the millions of Americans who use our products every day to support their health.”