Bangalore, India—Natural Remedies’ Bacopa monnieri product, BacoMind, has been issued two Natural Product Numbers (NPN) from Health Canada, according to a press release.
The first is for BacoMind Children. With a recommended dosage of 225mg/day for children and teens aged 6-18, it carries the claims: “Helps to support cognitive function in children. Helps to support brain health in children.”
The second is for BacoMind Adult. With a recommended dosage of 300 to 450mg/day for adults, it carries the claims: “Supports brain health. Helps to support cognitive health and brain performance. Helps to support memory.”
BacoMind is supported by five human clinical studies:
- 98 healthy elderly participants consuming 300 mg BacoMind per day for 12 weeks showed improved memory acquisition and retention. (Morgan and Stevens. Journal of Alternative and Complimentary Medicine 2010, 16 : 753-759)
- 65 elderly participants consumed 450 mg BacoMind daily for 12 weeks and observed at both week 12 and 12 weeks post-supplementation had improved verbal memory. (Barbhaiya et al. Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology 2008, 3: 425-434)
- 24 children requiring individual education programs who took 225 BacoMind daily for four months showed improvement in battery of memory tests. (Usha et al. Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology 2008, 3(4): 302-310)
- 27 children with ADHD who took 225 mg BacoMind per day for six months had significant reduction in six of seven ADHD symptoms. (Dave et al. Advances in Mind-Body Medicine 2014, 28(2):10-5)
- 23 healthy adults who took 300 mg BacoMind per day for 15 days followed by 450 mg per day for the next 15 days were evaluated for adverse effects; the researchers found that BacoMind® is safe for human consumption.
Abey Thomas, Head of Global Marketing for Natural Remedies, said in the press release: “Because BacoMind is GRAS, its use in popular food and beverage products is possible and helps brands attain unique market positioning. For example, BacoMind can be used in gluten-free and vegan (or conventional) bakery products at 50 mg per serving, as well as in gummies and chews.”