As we try to peak our heads out of COVID, we are thinking about many things in new ways, especially luxuries.
We coined the term well-luxe more than a decade ago as we saw health becoming a new status symbol. Post-COVID, gratitude has become a luxury. Not the store-bought gratitude emblazoned T-shirt or the gratitude jar, but the authentic gratitude you know and feel in your heart.
Gratitude pairs perfectly with luxury…society, influencers, my neighbors talked about gratitude, but I think many of us are appreciating more, which transforms anything you truly take in and experience as a luxury.
Something doesn’t have to be Rolex or a Rolls Royce to be a luxury.
After all the paralyzing news and living scared and afraid…
Feeling safe is a luxury.
Breathing fresh air deeply is luxury.
Health is still very much a luxury.
And so is happiness.
We have the luxury of more time with the disappearance of commuting and its hustle.
Because of that, what we need and want are very different than they were before.
Breathing exercises are free. Air purifiers are affordable.
Masks protect, their designs show our identity.
You can travel to places you dream of going to someday through the food you choose to eat.
Your home is your Zoom, FaceTime and Skype set. Your neighborhood is your treadmill.
We’re making strides with sustainability.
We’re communicating more, on video as well as on paper.
Here are some of the little luxuries I’ve found that can help us feel better:
Healthy Tech for Relaxation and Warding Off Aches
- Self-isolation has had dramatic effects on our mental state. Alpha-Stim is designed to help fight both the sleepless nights and the sadness that can make it hard to get out of bed in the morning. The Alpha-Stim waveform, application, and protocols can help with anxiety relief, mood normalization, and better sleep (both in quality and duration). Treatments take only 20 minutes and the device can be used in the privacy of your own home.
- Like plants, our skin and other body tissues have the ability to absorb light and convert it into energy necessary for wellness. LightStim is an FDA-cleared device for anti-aging and acne. With its patented technology MultiWave, the device emits lights of different wavelengths simultaneously, and helps promote overall skin health while targeting the problem.
- Whether you carry it in your front, swing it to the back, or sling it over a shoulder, SPIbelt helps keep important personal items in place: The expendable pocket comfortably holds your wallet, keys and phone in one place, while the adjustable elastic band creates the perfect fit around your waist, without bouncing or chafing. It’s good for running, hiking, walking, or on any of your adventures.
- With more than 20 patterns, Lily Trotters’ socks marry function with fashion. No more of the bulky materials, cut-off circulation, or boring beige color that are almost synonyms to medical compression socks. Lily Trotters’ compression socks are made with breathable, antibacterial materials to keep feet dry and comfortable. They also come in knee-high length for added warmth.
- Taking care of health is at the top of our priority list now. Yet, slouching over our computers while working from home is causing some unnatural posture positions and unwanted back pain. Leonisa’s back support posture corrector wireless bras offer much-needed support. The bras feature the company’s PowerSlim bands to help improve posture, and ultra-soft seams that let you move freely and stay comfortable no matter what.
- Whether you’re stuck inside or headed outdoors, Wallaroo Hat Company’s hats block the sun’s harmful ultraviolet rays to help keep the skin healthy and ward off wrinkles, aging, and skin cancer—in style. The UPF 50+ fabric effectively blocks 97.5% of ultraviolet rays, according to the Australian Radiation Protection Agency. Not only has Wallaroo been granted the Skin Cancer Foundation Seal of Recommendation, the hats are fashion-forward and come in a variety of styles and colors for men, women, and children.
Home Appliance & More that Protect Your Loved Ones
- Powerizer Complete cleans carpets, car interiors and nearly every surface of your whole house, inside and out. The all-purpose plant & mineral-based home cleaner is also perfect for cleaning makeshift face masks. You just have to add water to activate and it will clean anything in your way.
- As necessary as soaps are, soap bars that strip your hands dry do not benefit the situation. Peet Bros Palm Free soap bars are great for frequent handwashing as they are made with good stuff like shea butter, olive oil and hemp and no fillers like palm.
- If you are an avid bar soap user, attach SoapStandle to your bar soap to extend the life of soap. SoapStandle is a clever, small, and inconspicuous standle that sinks its “teeth” right into any size or type of bar soap. This elevates the soap, allowing air to circulate around the bar for it to properly dry, putting an end to soap goo and messy sinks.
- Keep your food fresh longer with Rigwa, a reusable, air-tight food container that is light-weight and easy to clean. Featuring a BPA-free insulated lid, this double-walled, stainless-steel bowl keeps food hot for up to 4 hours and cold for 8 hours. No more spilling, leaking, or waste of food. Rigwa makes food preparation at home easier and is good to take with you on your next outdoor excursion as well.
- When you can’t escape the indoors, make sure your house is safe to stay-in. It’s never too late to start purifying the air and surfaces in your home. BetterAir is an air and surface probiotic purifier that works to eliminate germs. It features a probiotic formula that the company says creates a microflora coating on surfaces and objects.
Recovery Tools that Ease Aches
- One thing that can come in the way of any at home workout is aches and pains. Rykr Roll myofascial handheld self-massage tools promote better oxygen flow and blood circulation to achieve optimal pain and tension relief. Rykr Roll products are a drug-free way to relieve aches, pain and stiffness in muscles and joints, improve range of motion and recovery, boost body energy, increase blood flow, and even alleviate myofascial tenderness. Their products can be warmed or cooled depending on what your body needs—no batteries or electricity needed.
- Sitting over your computer all day can strain muscles. Muscle MX Recovery CBD balm helps with the recovery of achy muscles, joints, and tendons with a cool, soothing relief. Muscle MX balms are formulated to provide short-term and long-term pain relief and inflammation reduction made with all-natural ingredients and broad-spectrum CBD. Muscle MX provides real pain relief without any negative effect of pain medications.
- Chafing can put a bump on your workout routine. Body Glide has a range of specially formulated allergen-free anti-chafing balms to roll on the skin and provide a barrier to stop chafing and blisters before they begin. The balms are sweat and water resistant, keeping pores clog-free by allowing sweat to escape and letting the skin breathe.
- Hot Stones have been offered by spas for two decades without any innovations. COVID-19 has exposed the need for significant sanitary upgrades to the service. Enter Spa Revolutions thermaBliss collection of stones offering sanitary, non-porous and electricity-free massage benefits to the hot stone massage experience.
- If muscle tweaks and strains are keeping you from feeling you best as you work from home, HurtSkurt therapeutic sleeves are the perfect WFH companion. HurtSkurt’s stretch-to-fit hot/cold therapeutic sleeves help give muscles some much-needed attention while still permitting you to move about your day and stay active. 360-degree compression keeps the HurtSkurt in place without any additional accessories—just slide right on to your ankles, calves, wrists, forearms, and other areas in need of therapeutic attention.