Recipe courtesy of Massel
Grated potatoes to serve the number of people you are feeding. Massel recommends 1/3 to 1/2 lbs. of raw potatoes per person.
Enough creamy cheese sauce (recipe below) to coat the potatoes.
Creamy Cheese Sauce (for Creamy Cheesy Potatoes)
2 tbsp. butter or vegan butter
2 tbsp. rice flour
1 cup water
1 cup milk or soy milk
1/2 pack of Massel Concentrated Liquid Stock or 2 Massel Ultracubes or 2 tsp. of Massel All Purpose Bouillon & Seasoning granules (chicken or vegetable style)
4 oz. shredded cheese or a vegan cheese
1 tsp. grated nutmeg
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Mix water, milk, and Massel bouillon together. If using bouillon cubes or granules, heat gently stirring, until warm and bouillon cubes are dissolved. Set aside.
2. In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat until it bubbles, whisk flour into butter and stir while cooking. You will start to smell a smell like popcorn.
3. Add milk mixture to the saucepan and whisk as it thickens slowly. Add nutmeg. As it thickens add cheese.
4. When cheese is melted take the sauce off the heat, taste and adjust seasoning.
5. Mix with pasta, vegetables, or however you would like to use it.
Makes 2 1/2 cups.
Published by WholeFoods Magazine Online, 9/26/14