Leftover Cranberry Sauce Pumpkin Muffins recipe courtesy of Bob’s Red Mill
- 1 cup Organic Unbleached White All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup Organic Whole Wheat Flour
- 2-1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground Ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup Grapeseed Oil ** plus 1 tablespoon
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup pure Maple Syrup
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup chopped raw pecans
- 1/3 cup leftover cranberry sauce *
- Sparkling Sugar for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a muffin pan with liners and set aside.
- Whisk together both kinds of flour, the baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, oil, pumpkin puree, honey, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined (it will be a thicker batter). Gently fold in the pecans. Add in the cranberry sauce (drop in dollops over the batter) and mix just a few times – you don’t want it all the way incorporated into the batter, more just swirled in.
- Divide the batter evenly in the prepared muffin tins, filling each about ⅔ to ¾ of the way full. Sprinkle the tops with the sparkling sugar if using.
- Bake for about 14 to 16 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool for about 5 minutes, then remove the muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
*I’ve only tested these with leftover homemade cranberry sauce, which has more of a jam-like consistency. If you use store-bought cranberry sauce, be sure to use the whole berry kind (and not the regular, shaped like a can jellied kind). Homemade Cranberry Sauce recipe available here.
**Another oil can be substituted for the grapeseed oil. If you choose to use melted coconut oil, make sure all the other ingredients are at room temp (otherwise I’ve found that the cold will harden the coconut oil!!).
Posted on WholeFoods Magazine Online, 11/21/2016