Recipe courtesy of Freekeh Foods
1 8 oz. package of Freekeh Grain (use Original or Rosemary Sage)
2 and 1/2 – 3 cups water or vegetable broth
1 and 1/2 cups pitted Kalamata olives, diced
1 and 1/2 cups (or more) fire roasted marinated tomatoes
2-4 garlic cloves crushed (or more)
Fresh basil, diced
Toasted pine nuts
2-3 teaspoons of fresh squeezed lemon
Pearled, fresh mozzarella balls
Following seasonings should be added to taste:
1. Cook Freekeh according to package instructions.
2. While Freekeh is cooking, chop olives & basil.
3. Toast the pine nuts on medium heat in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. They’re done when golden. Once done, let cool.
4. When Freekeh is done, allow to cool for a few minutes.
5. Once Freekeh is cool, add it & all other ingredients into a large bowl & stir. Add more seasonings to taste.
Published in WholeFoods Magazine Online, 5/23/2014