Potato Gratin recipe courtesy of Nutiva
- 2 tbsp Nutiva Organic Unrefined Red Palm Oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups milk
- 4 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 6 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into ⅛-inch thick slices
- 2 onions, very thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- In saucepan, melt palm oil over medium heat; cook garlic for about 1 minute or until fragrant but not browned. Sprinkle with flour; cook for 1 minute. Whisk in milk, chopped thyme, mustard, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook, whisking constantly, for 5 to 7 minutes or until smooth and thickened.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In 13- x 9-inch glass baking dish, layer half of the potatoes, onions, Gruyère, Parmesan and sauce. Repeat layers, ending with sauce. Top with thyme sprigs.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are very tender and golden brown on top. Let stand for 20 minutes before serving.
Tip: This dish is also delicious made with Cheddar, Gouda or Emmental cheese.
Posted on WholeFoods Magazine Online, 11/21/2016