Sweet Potato Pie recipe courtesy of Mary’s Gone Crackers
1 lb sweet potato
1/2 cup butter or coconut oil
1 cup coconut palm sugar or sugar of choice
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. groung cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup gluten free flour blend of choice
2 cups Mary’s Gone Crackers Original Just the Crumbs
3/4 cup coconut oil or butter, chilled
1/3 cup coconut palm sugar or sugar of choice
1 tsp. xanthan gum (optional, but helps pie crust bind together)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Boil sweet potato whole or cut into large chunks, skin on, for 40 to 50 minutes, or until soft. Drain. Run cold water over the sweet potatoes and remove skins. Set aside.
3. Combine gluten free flour blend, Mary’s Gone Crackers Original Just the Crumbs, sugar, and xanthan gum into a food processor and pulse 3-5 times to break down the crumbs. Add butter or coconut oil and pulse another 3-5 times to break up the fat.
4. Press the crumb dough into a pie pan. Bake in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let it chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
5. Combine skinned boiled sweet potatoes and the rest of the filling ingredients in a large bowl. Combine with mixer on medium speed until smooth. Pour filling into pie crust.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Posted on WholeFoods Magazine Online, 11/21/2016