Silver Spring, MD—FDA and FTC have issued three warning letters to companies selling fraudulent COVID-19 products.
The companies warned:
Savvy Holistic Health dba Holistic Healthy Pet sells fraudulent products with misleading claims about the prevention or treatment of COVID-19 in people and pets. The products include “China Oral Nosode” and the “CV Respiratory Kit,” both described as “Corona viral immune support and/or active respiratory infection for all ages,” according to FDA’s warning letter. The claims made include:
- “China Oral Nosode is the homeopathic nosode called a homeoprophylasix [sic] of Corona Virus to Assist Immunity.”
- “If active infection – use Bottle 1 in conjunction with Herbal formulas & Vitamin C (liposomal Vitamin C is the most effective form for respiratory infections)”
- “Hearing reports from China, homeopaths there report that the symptoms of people who get the Coronavirus point toward Gelsemium (first choice) and Byronia or Eupatorium perf (as second choices). Note: We have provided these extra homeopathics into the China Oral Nosode remedy bottle.”
- “Vitamin C oral dosing . . . Vitamin C protects .. [sic] against all virus e.g[.] CoronaVirus . . . See pf HELP SHEET.”
CBD Online Store offers unapproved and misbranded CBD products with misleading claims that the products are safe and/or effective for the treatment or prevention of COVID-19 in people. FDA’s warning letter notes that they are misbranded drugs. Some of the claims made:
- “Can CBD Help With The Corona Virus? . . . Corona Virus / Covid-19 . . . Unless you are living in a cave, you know what Corona Virus is . . . Some medical researchers are finding the disease effects the lungs . . . Inflammation is the problem here . . . We have been saying on our blog since the beginning about the powerful anti-inflammatory effects of CBD . . . CBD has been found to decrease inflammations naturally, and through communicating with your endocannabinoid system.” [https://cbd-online-store.com/2020/03/can-cbd-help-with-the-corona-virus]
- “Can CBD help with Corona Virus? Possibly! But one thing is for sure, it will help you relax when everyone else is panicking.” from March 9, 2020 post on your [www.facebook.com/CBDOnlineStore]
Related: Industry Associations Commend FDA for Taking Swift Action
FDA, FTC Issue Warning Letters for COVID-19 Claims
FDA Updates: Nutrition Labeling; Food Supply & Safety FAQs
The third business warned was Genesis II Church of Health and Healing, which sells fraudulent chlorine dioxide products known as “Miracle Mineral Solution” for prevention and treatment of COVID-19. FDA notes in their announcement that the agency is not aware of any scientific evidence supporting the safety or effectiveness of chlorine dioxide, and as chlorine dioxide is known to pose significant risks to patient health.
All companies were given 48 hours to respond to FDA describing specific steps taken to correct the violations.
FDA adds in the announcement that there are currently no approved preventatives or treatments for COVID-19.