NOW Foods’ values and mission are very much aligned with those of its main customers, the independent health food retailer. Although the company, founded in 1968 by Elwood Richard, has grown to become one of the industry’s largest manufacturers, NOW is still owned and run by the Richard family. They ensure the company fulfills its original mission: to provide value in products and services that empower people to lead healthier lives. Elwood Richard’s core belief that high-quality health products should not be a luxury available only to the wealthy still shapes the company’s policies today.
People often ask how NOW can produce quality products at such reasonable prices, and the answer is surprisingly simple: commitment. Every phase of the manufacturing process, from the purchase and delivery of raw materials, to the packaging and shipping of products, follows strict procedures overseen by an educated, experienced team of experts. NOW’s state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities in Illinois and Nevada feature complete Quality Assurance and Quality Control systems and processes, and the Illinois location has been GMP (Good Manufacturing Procedures)-certified and “A-rated” by Natural Products Association (NPA/NNFA) since 2000.
Thorough testing and meticulous quality assurance ensures that NOW products are screened for contaminants and adulterants, labeled accurately and of the highest possible quality.
NOW’s dedication to the customers who have made its success possible is illustrated by the company’s stellar customer service and enduring commitment to the health food channel.
Key Market Areas
NOW Foods’ main customer is, and always has been, the independent health food retailer. According to SPINS data, NOW is the #1 selling amino acid brand in the health food channel, and has won numerous awards for its full line. The company’s product categories include dietary supplements, herbs, personal care, natural foods and beverages, and an array of natural sweeteners including BetterStevia™, a proprietary whole leaf stevia extract in powders and liquids.
Major Products/Service Offerings
With over 1,400 products in its catalog including dietary supplements, personal care products, sports nutrition products, and natural foods such as nuts and grains, NOW remains an anchor of the health food channel. Product categories include:
- Vitamin & Minerals, Amino Acids and Antioxidants
- Cardiovascular, Metabolic, Immune, Digestive Support Supplements
- Super Green Foods, Fiber and Herbs
- Joint, Mobility and Structural Support
- Men’s and Women’s Specialty Supplements
- Sports Nutrition, Weight Management and Protein
- Personal Care, Essential Oils and Anti-Aging Skincare
- Mental Fitness and Neural Support
- Omega-3, Nutritional Oils and EFAs
- Natural Foods, Allergy-friendly Foods, Sweeteners, Tea
NOW Foods is proud that its main customer is the independent health food retailer, and is absolutely dedicated to the success and growth of natural product stores. The company has tailored many aspects of its business model to serve the needs of those retailers, providing them with a diverse selection of sales tools, including retail and consumer catalogs, banners and displays, window signs, shelf talkers and informative literature for retailers and consumers. NOW offers free telephone and web-based seminars, facility tours, an open house and free e-newsletters. One of NOW’s greatest educational tools is NOW University, an online destination for free courses designed to educate retailers and consumers about health through nutrition and supplementation. Visit Now-University.com to sign up. NOW is also one of the very few natural supplement companies to offer free technical support from certified nutritionists.
NOW Foods started out as a food company, and after achieving the goal of becoming the biggest line of supplements in independent health food stores, there is a renewed emphasis on the “Foods” in the company name:
- Living NOW, a brand new, allergy-friendly and gluten-free line of grains, flours and baking products excludes eight major allergens (dairy, wheat, soy, tree nuts, peanuts, eggs, fish and shellfish). Made in a dedicated gluten-free, allergy-friendly facility, products are currently on shelves and more products will continue to be introduced through the fall.
- Ellyndale Foods, scheduled to launch in the fall of this year, is a line of gourmet natural and organic foods using premium ingredients to create unique and innovative flavors and offerings for a superior taste experience.
- NOW Foods recently hired Chef Suzy Singh, FOX’s “MasterChef” Season 2 Finalist, as the company’s new R&D Corporate Chef to drive NOW Real Food development. Singh will help bring natural product awareness to the broader wellness-seeking consumer community, as well as develop recipes and new product concepts.
NOW Foods Corporate Office
244 Knollwood Dr., Ste. 300
Jim Emme, President
Published in WholeFoods Magazine, July 2013