Phoenix, AZ—Sprouts Healthy Communities Foundation and School Garden Support Organization (SGSO) Network, announced that it will host a virtual garden-based learning event on April 27 from 10 to 11 a.m. PT on growingschoolgardens.org. The 45-minutes event taught by students, Growing School Gardens: Seeding a Healthy Future for Our Youth, will explore how school gardens are advancing nutrition and environmental literacy, STEM education, and social-emotional wellness.
The event is in honor of National Garden Month, which was nationally declared in 2015 by Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack.
“It is essential that we educate our children about establishing good nutrition and healthy eating habits early in life to lead to better, positive health outcomes later in life,” said Vilsack. “We need to expand and improve our outreach and education with a much greater focus on nutrition security, giving children and families tools to make healthy food choices because the food we eat affects our health throughout our lives.”
- Cultural Connections Between Plants, People, Food and Land hosted by Kokua Foundation at Waimea Middle Public Conversion Charter School in Waimea, Hawaii
- What a School Garden Means to Students hosted by Life Lab at Radcliff Elementary in Watsonville, Calif.
- Environmental Design in the School Garden hosted by University of Arizona’s Community & School Garden Program at Manzo Elementary in Tucson, Ariz.
- Unity Through Community hosted by Big Green at Lake Middle School in Denver
- Research Shows School Gardens Benefits hosted by the Department of Nutritional Sciences at The University of Texas at Austin and TX Sprouts Program in Austin, Texas
- Community and Youth Development hosted by Jones Valley Teaching Farm at Woodlawn High School in Birmingham, Ala.
- We Are Scientists in the Garden hosted by Out Teach at Whittier Elementary in Washington, D.C.
For more information visit growingschoolgardens.org, or follow #growingschoolgardens on social media.
Related: Rodale Institute Launches Virtual Campus, Consulting Services
Eat The Change Launches #incrEDIBLEplanetchallenge for Earth Month
Sprouts Opens Produce Distribution Center to Quadruple Local Selection